Saturday, March 27, 2010

Old Habits Are Hard to Break!

Here I go once again! Making promises to myself and others related to this blog! I really do think almost daily about things I want to share on this blog. Unfortunately, the busyness of life overcomes the desire to write and I end up having to do something practical instead.

I occasionally semi-envy some of my friends who seem to spend a good deal of their day playing Farmville or other such games on Facebook. I seem to spend my time gardening, cleaning, writing, both for pleasure and by commitment (I write children's church literature and puppet skits weekly), playing with or chasing kids, preparing homeschool lessons, walking dogs, giving piano lessons, or some other such obligation. Now, I am not saying that these obligations are overwhelming or bothersome. Most of the time, they energize me and bring me joy. But, they leave me little time for Facebook games. I will admit that I play Scramble against a friend, but other than that, I rarely indulge in such things. I love to play games. It is just that with the homeschooling, I end up planning and playing lots of games. My husband and I like to challenge each other with Scrabble on occasion also.

Sometimes friends of mine mention that I appear to have lots of energy, based on comments I make on Facebook or blogs. They say they are envious of my energy and the things I accomplish. I realize it is true that I do get a lot of things done. However, I wonder if it is more the choices I make regarding how I spend my time, than actually having more energy. It is funny that they envy my energy and I envy how they can play games and relax while I must achieve...my own requirement, no one else's. And sometimes I wonder how much I achieve in all the busyness. Maybe there are lessons on both sides here...one for me to learn to allow myself to play once in awhile and leave something undone...and a lesson for my friends too...make good choices on how you spend your time, and make limits on the amounts of time given for games. That way, you can stop inviting me over to clean your house or garage, plant your garden, etc. and enjoy doing it yourself!

Of course, I know you are teasing me. I hope you understand that I am teasing you. It is just nice to have friends to make comments on what I share on Facebook and blogs.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I like your post. I often wonder the same thing, although I have no desire to play games on Facebook, seems like a complete waste of time to me. I mentioned to one friend instead of playing Farmville that they could actually plant some seeds and raise real food. Oh well. Your point is well taken. I do like doing puzzles with my 3 year old and do wish sometimes I had more time for me but that's okay.