Thursday, January 21, 2010

How We Handle Rain!

Today is an overcast, rainy day. It is a much-needed rain, here in the desert! Most of us welcomed it, yet many find it quite challenging! I think that comes out the most in driving. On my way to "work" today, I observed many types of reactions to the downpour!

One driver in front of me had their windshield wipers on full-blast no matter how lightly or heavily it came down. She appeared to be staring straight ahead and hanging tightly to the steering wheel as if she felt she would be swept away at any moment.

A pickup truck next to me had it's wipers on very slow speed. The windshield was drenched and yet the driver continued to drive fast, even fishtailing. He seemed oblivious to the rain, and unwilling to adjust his driving habits to accommodate it.

Another elderly driver crawled down the road apparently fearful to be out in traffic. Her wipers were wildly flinging the water, obviously in need of adjustment. This seemed to confuse her even more judging by her speed.

Myself...I kept adjusting the speed of my wipers with the stop and go of the traffic and the rain. I kept a safe speed, and purposely focused more than normal, on the behavior of others.

I thought about the rain. And I thought about the other "rains" of life. The times that uncomfortable and even harrowing circumstances invade my life...and the lives of us all!

I think we react in vaired ways, just as the drivers did today. Some of us percieve danger even when the showers are light, not handling change welll at all. Sometimes our cheeks become damp with fear, or worry, or sadness and we star

No comments: